• There are 143 million orphans in our world. If all the orphans in the world were moved to the country of Mexico, Mexico’s population would more than double, growing from 108,700,000 to 251,700,000
• Over 16 million children were newly orphaned in 2003
• There are approximately 17.5 million orphans who are ages 0-5
• There are approximately 47 million orphans who are ages 6-11
• There are approximately 79 million orphans who are ages 12-17
• 87.6 million orphans live in Asia
• 43.4 million orphans live in Sub-Saharan Africa
• There are as many orphaned and vulnerable children in Ethiopia as there are people in greater NYC
• 12.4 million orphans live in Latin America and the Caribbean
• Almost 1.5 million children live in public care in Central and Eastern Europe
That’s our world.
With this many orphans in the United States and in the world the church has a monumental task before it if it is to practice true religion. James 1:27 says, "Religion that is pure and undeled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their afiction." Clearly, the church has its work cut out for it.
Ministries serving OrphansLoving Shepherd Ministries (serving orphans in Ethiopia & Haiti): http://loving-shepherd.org/Show Hope (ministry of Steven Curtis and Mary Beth Chapman - serving orphans throughout the world): http://www.showhope.org/home.aspxChristian Alliance for Orphans (adoption, foster care and global orphan initiatives): http://www.christianalliancefororphans.org/
Resources and BooksBook on getting started with adoptionApplying orphan care to your life "beyond Orphan Sunday"Ten Ways every Christian can Care for the Orphan and Waiting Child40 Days of Prayer for the OrphanMiracles of Adoption booklet
Foster Care InformationHere is a link for anyone wanting to learn more about foster care.Here is a video from Focus on the Family about foster care adoptionDave Thomas Foundation - Foster Care Adoption
Praying and Caring for Orphans in Specific Orphanages around the WorldNew Day Foster Home (serving orphans in China): www.newdaycreations.com/foster/. You can receive e-mails and be privileged to pray for special needs and surgeries - you will be blessed by the miracles and answers to prayer! E-mail email@example.com to get on their prayer list. Praying and Caring for Orphans in the Ukraine. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to request to be put on the prayer list for Michelle Maly. Michelle has dedicated her life to serving the older orphans in several Ukraine orphanages. She plays a vital role in helping many, many older children get place into homes before they are no longer "adoptable" facing an uncertain future with few resources. Many of these children end up homeless and on the streets if they are not matched with families.